This page is part of an on-going research project on the history of Belchamp Walter and the manor of Belchamp Walter. If you have found it making a web search looking for geneological or other information on the village then please bookmark this page and return often as I am likely to make regular updates. If you delve deeper into this website you will find many other pages similar to this one.
To make the local history more understandable I have started a Local Timeline. This will reference my main timeline and only contain events that are relevant to Belchamp Walter and the surrounding area including North Essex, Cambridge and Suffolk.
In trying to break down the history from the Norman Conquest until what I have called "the Raymond years" I started a page entitled devere. This was due to the statement:
The lordship of the manor of Belchamp Water was, at the time of the Domesday survey, in the possession of Alberic de Vere, in whose family it remained until the C17. Under the de Veres it was held by a number of families until in 1539 it came to class="text" Sir Roger Wentworth.
The quote above was taken from the Historic England website on their listing for Belchamp Hall|.
The "Under the de Veres" and being "held by a number of families" is a gross over-simplification.
The timeline is also based on the account of Thomas Wright in his The History and Topography of Essex. Again, there are a lot of over-simplifications here!.
Pages on names from Thomas Wright's account
What I have tried to do here is to add dates, some are guess-te-mates to make some sort of linear timeline. These will be adjusted as more info is gathered.
- My de Vere page - where I first started a local timeline for the Pre-Tudor Period
- Aubrey de Vere - 1086????
- Magna Carta - 1215
- William Montchensy - or possibly William de Montecanyso of Edwardestone -
- Geofrey_de_Mandeville - 1110
- Simon de Pateshull - pre 1217
- Payne de Beauchamp, baron of Bedford - b. 1118
- Simon de Beauchamp, was steward of the household to King Stephen - son of Payne 1240??
- William de Beauchamp of Bedford - the medievil John Smith - 1250??
- Battle of Evesham 1265
- Roger de Mowbray 1218
- Baldwin Wake - about 1250
- John de Steyngreve - 1245-1295
- Thomas Fitz-Otho 1325
- Walter de Tay - post 1270 (1300)
- Sir John de Botetourt - I have a lot of work to do here - 1302
- John Gernon - The 1340's?
- Sir Robert Swynborne - Joan Gernon dies 1433 - Gernon and Botetourt estates transferred to Robert Swynborne
- John Helion of Bumsted Helion - pre 1450 (when John Helion died)
- Sir William Fynderne - pre 1445 (when Sir William died)
- Sir Thomas Montgomery, Esq. of Faulkbourne Hall - 1460 possible date at Manor
- Sir John Wentworth of Gosfield - 1611 (the purchase of the Manor by the Raymonds)
- The Thomas Ruggles Years - 1741 - 1865
- The Raymonds of Belchamp Walter
- William Stern - Phillip Raymond
- Philip Honywood Raymond d. 1806 (1807)